Chess for Social Skills is an alternative approach to current social-skills-for-children programmes and can be delivered in a whole-class or small group setting. The structured nature of chess-playing provides excellent scaffolding for all students who find social skills difficult to master as they play each other one on one before moving to another partner.
As well as learning how to play the famous game through a fun, hands-on approach the programme of lessons also challenges students to develop their concepts of respect, accepting defeat, forward planning, accepting compliments and giving feedback, teamwork, decision-making, patience, resilience and developing a growth mind-set when exploring a new skill.
Teachers will have the opportunity to learn how to play chess by playing chess mini-games against other novice teachers. The course will teach all participants how to
· play chess (from zero prior knowledge) and the best methods of teaching primary school children as young as first class the rules using a fun, games-based approach
· utilise chess as an additional resource in teaching social skills in the mainstream and special education classrooms
· organise a school chess club, school chess team and in-school chess competitions.
Testimonials from previous chess summer course participants include:
· “I was surprised how much fun it was and I had never played chess before!”
· “Game of chess broken down into simplified steps.”
· “It is a super resource for teaching problem solving and enhancing critical thinking.”
· “Chess demystified!”
· “Part of school self-evaluation steps for problem-solving.”
· “It’s considered a ‘game for intellectuals’ but really its a level-playing field for all students to interact socially”.
This summer course has been hosted through eight education centres around Ireland since 2016 and always receives the highest standard of feedback. It attracts both principals and experienced teachers looking for something new and easy to implement in their schools with many claiming it to be "the best summer course I've ever completed". Newly qualified teachers also find the course an excellent addition to their CV. Chess is a growing initiative in Irish primary schools with 300 teachers now joined the Ficheall.ie network of teachers promoting chess in primary schools.
Please email to ask any questions of the course or go to for more information.
|Course Date||01-07-2021 9:30 am|
|Course End Date||07-07-2021 2:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||25-05-2021|
|Cut off date||30-06-2021 12:00 pm|